Guests are able to get in close contact with Africa's most exciting wildlife species, and are presented with unparalleled photographic opportunities. Big Five and other game sightings is common in the area. The game drives are conducted by trained rangers who are more than willing to answer your questions. Sabi Sand Private Game Reserve shares an unfenced boundary with the legendary Kruger National Park, offering the greatest diversity of species in Africa.
|Dabchick||Dabchick (Little Grebe)|
|Greater Blue-eared Glossy|
|Warbler||Bleating - Greybacked or Greenbacked|
|African Wild Cat|
|Snake||African Rock Python|
|Black Headed Centipede-eater|
|Mocambique Spitting Cobra|
|Red Tipped Herald|
|Yellow Bellied Sand|
|Scientific name||Common Name|
|Acacia ataxacantha||Flame Thorn|
|Acacia burkei||Black Monkey Thorn|
|Acacia gerrardii||Red Thorn|
|Acacia nigrescens||Knob Thorn|
|Acacia nilotica||Scented Thorn|
|Acacia robusta||Brack Thorn|
|Acacia senegal||Slender Three-hook Thorn|
|Acacia tortilis||Umbrella Thorn|
|Albizia anthelmintica||Worm-bark False-thorn|
|Albizia harveyi||Common False-thorn|
|Albizia versicolor||Large-leaved False-thorn|
|Berchemia discolor||Brown Ivory|
|Berchemia zeyheri||Red Ivory|
|Bolusanthus speciosus||Tree Wisteria|
|Burkea africana||Wild Syringa|
|Cassia abbreviata||Sjambok Pod|
|Combretum apiculatum||Red Bushwillow|
|Combretum hereroense||Russett Bushwillow|
|Combretum microphyllum||Flame Creeper|
|Combretum zeyheri||Large-fruited Bushwillow|
|Dichrostachys cinerea||Sickle Bush|
|Diospyros mespiliformes||Jackal Berry|
|Dombeya rotundifolia||Common Wild Pear|
|Erythrina lysistemon||Common Coral Tree|
|Euclea divinorum||Magic Guarri|
|Euphorbia cooperii||Transvall Candelabra|
|Euphorbia ingens||Common Tree Euphorbia|
|Scientific name||Common Name|
|Ficus abutilifolia||Large-leaved Rock Fig|
|Ficus stuhlmanii||Lowveld Fig|
|Ficus sycomorus||Sycamor Fig|
|Ficus thonningii||Common Wild Fig|
|Gardenia volkensii||Transvaal Gardenia|
|Grewia caffra||Climbing Raisin|
|Grewia monticola||Silver Raisin|
|Kigelia africana||Sausage Tree|
|Lannea schweinfurthii||False Marula|
|Lanchocarpus bussei||Narrow Lance Pod|
|Maytenus heterophylla||Common Spike Thorn|
|Nuxia oppositifolia||Water Elder|
|Pappea capensis||Jacket Plum|
|Peltophorum africanum||Weeping Wattle|
|Pheonix reclinata||Wild Date Palm|
|Piliostigma thonningii||Camel's Foot|
|Pterocarpus angolensis||Transvaal Teak|
|Schotia brachypetala||Weeping Boer-bean|
|Schotia capitata||Dwarf Boer-bean|
|Sideroxylon inerme||White Milkwood|
|Strychnos madagascariensis||Spineless Monkey Orange|
|Strychnos spinosa||Green Monkey Orange|
|Terminalia sericea||Silver Cluster Leaf|
|Trichilia emetica||Natal Mahogany|
All passengers travelling on our Federal Airlines shuttle flights are entitled to one free piece of checked luggage and one small carry on item. Please see below details for checked in bags:
TYPE OF BAG
Due to the nature of the environment in which we operate, our aircraft are, generally speaking, smaller than a typical airliner. As a result, we have much smaller luggage holds which results in weight and size limitations. The Federal Airlines luggage specifications are as follows:
- SOFT (all-sides) luggage/duffel bags with no rigid sides (flexible bags being made of pliable material such as cotton or canvas);
- Maximum luggage weight is 20kg/44lbs (in the hold); luggage size is 40cm (16 inches) wide x 30cm (12 inches) high x 60cm (24 inches) long;
- Maximum hand luggage is 5kg/11lbs (1 piece allowed);
- We offer soft sided bags which can be purchased at our lounge at an additional cost.
- Should your luggage exceed the above limitations, we will NOT BE ABLE to load it. We do provide a
- COMPLIMENTARY LUGGAGE STORING FACILITY. Excess luggage remains the responsibility of the affected
- passenger at all times.
- Oversized luggage CANNOT be carried on your lap. Your safety is our first priority and unsecured objects inside the cabin are hazardous.
- To accommodate additional luggage, please book and pay for an additional seat in advance on any of our shuttle flights. It may not be an available option on the day of departure if this has not been pre-booked. The extra seat will allow for an extra 60kg of luggage allowance. Any additional luggage must still meet the baggage policy described above.
- It remains the responsibility of the booking agent to inform their client of Federal Airlines baggage policy
- Complimentary excess luggage storage offered on a return flight basis.
- The following dangerous goods are not permitted on board the aircraft:
- Flammable liquids and solids such as lighter or heater fuel, paint and matches. Radio-active material, oxidizing materials and organic peroxides such as bleaches and fiberglass repair kits;
- Firearms and explosives, handguns, automatic weapons, munitions, ammunitions including blank cartridges, pistol caps, fireworks, flares, smoke canisters and crackers.
- Infectious substances such as bacteria and viruses;
- Corrosives such as mercury, acids, alkalis and wet-cell batteries;
- Compressed gases. Deeply refrigerated flammable, non-flammable and poisonous gases such as butane, oxygen propane and aqualung cylinders;
- We do not accept human remains for carriage on any routes. However, the carriage of ashes is permitted provided a copy of the death certificate and the cremations certificate accompanies them. You must ensure the ashes are securely packed in an appropriate container and should be included in your hand luggage.
FEDERAL AIRLINES DEPARTURE LOUNGE
We are always proud to welcome all of our passengers to our departure lounge; we offer the following facilities to all departing and arriving passengers
- Complimentary flavoured teas, espresso, cappuccino, mochachino, latte, hot chocolate, soft drinks, fruit juice and homemade biscuits available;
- Complimentary fresh sandwiches, fruit and snacks available;
- Complimentary wi-fi inside our departure lounge;
- Boutique shopping experience;
- Complimentary shower facilities;
- Complimentary baggage storage facilities available between the hours of 8am and 4pm, offered on a return flight basis;
- Beautiful private lounge with private garden to enjoy while you are waiting for your flight to depart;
- Complimentary return transport back to O.R. Tambo for passengers returning from our shuttle flights;
FEDERAL AIRLINES MEET AND GREET SERVICE
We provide a complimentary meet and greet service to all of our passengers upon arrival at Johannesburg, please note the following regarding this service:
- Federal Airlines offers this service on a complimentary basis;
- We offer this service for all passengers arriving on any scheduled flight landing after 6am, provided we receive the flight information 72hrs before departure;
- Passengers arriving before 6am need to make their own way to our kiosk, a Federal Airlines driver will man the kiosk from 6:30am to transport guests that have arrived early to the lounge if prearranged 72hrs before departure;
- Our lounge is operational from 7am daily, and our airport kiosk is operational from 8am daily;
- Passengers may be met as a group should we have multiple passengers arriving off the same flight;
- We cannot be held liable should the passengers miss our representatives when they come through arrivals; we wil endeavour to be waiting for them at the most visible point as they arrive;
- After passengers have been met they will be escorted to our terminal counter where they will be assisted onto the transport to bring them to our private departure lounge;
- Should a meet and greet service be required for passengers arriving before 6am please let us know so that we may put you in contact with a private handling company.
FEDERAL AIRLINES GENERAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS
We offer a shuttle service and NOT a scheduled service therefore times and routes may vary from day-to-day depending on actual bookings. All shuttle departure times are subject to change
- Guests booked on shuttle flights, are not guaranteed to be on the same aircraft. Federal Airlines will do all possible to assist families/groups together, subject to operational requirements;
- Aircraft landing and/or departure may be delayed due to animals obstructing the runway;
- O.R. Tambo International Airport is one of the busiest airports in the southern hemisphere. As such we often incur air traffic control delays due to aircraft congestion;
- Transport between game lodge airstrips and the actual lodges will be provided by the lodge, we constantly update the lodge staff with all flight details so that they are well prepared for our guests’ arrival;
- Confirmed bookings subject to automatic release if passengers’ full names are not received at time of confirmation;
- We reserve the right to include technical stops enroute due to operating conditions at the time, which is in the interest of safety and at the sole discretion of the captain;
- Smoking is not permitted on any of our flights;
- Federal Airlines operates as a point-to-point airline and will not be held responsible or liable should incoming/ connecting flights be missed/delayed resulting in passengers missing their shuttle connection to the bush or onward flights. We will endeavour to assist them on a later departure from/to the bush, subject to seat and flight availability;
- We cannot be held liable or responsible for any delays due to weather, air traffic control or technical delays, we will rectify the situation to the best of our ability;
- In the event of bad weather (low cloud or water logged runways) Federal Airlines reserves the right to drop-off clients at the nearest suitable and serviceable airstrip; This might mean a road transfer for guests to get to their final destination, this road transfer will not be for Federal Airlines’ account, but will be for the guests’ account. This diversion will only be done in the interest of safety and when weather and/or runway conditions are not suitable to land at your original destination;
- Federal Airlines (Pty) Ltd. Trading as Federal Airlines cannot be held liable or responsible for any delays due to weather, resulting in missed connections when returning from any lodge.
- For group bookings on shuttle flights to/from Johannesburg, bookings are restricted to 18 passengers per departure time. Any additional passengers can be accommodated on a private charter basis.
- For group bookings on all other shuttle routes, bookings are restricted to 9 passengers per departure time.
- Any additional passengers can be accommodated on a private charter basis.
- Child fares are available on the following routes: ORT, Lowveld (MQP and Inter-Lodge), Madikwe.
- Child fares are priced at 25% off the published fare. Child rates are applicable for ages 2 to 11.
- Infant Fares are available on: ORT, Lowveld (MQP and Inter-Lodge), Madikwe. Infant fares are priced at 75% off the published fare. Infant rates are applicable for ages 0 to 2.
- Expectant mothers may travel with Federal Airlines up to and including the 27th week of their pregnancy. This must be inclusive of their return flight and must be able to produce a doctor’s certificate confirming the stage of their pregnancy and that they are fit to fly.
SHUTTLE SERVICES – CANCELLATION POLICY
- 30 – 15 Days 15%
- 14 – 08 Days 50%
- 07 – 04 Days 75%
- 3 Days – Day of Travel 100%
Please note that cancellations on special rates offered will be invoiced as per Federal Airlines rack rates. Any amendment to a booking within 72 hours that is not a cancellation will attract the following charges:
- Date / Route change: R750.00 (per person)
- Time change on day of travel: R250.00 (per person)
TRANSPORT OF LIVE ANIMALS
Carriage of live animals is permitted on board Federal Airlines flights.
NON-STANDARD PASSENGERS AND EQUIPMENT
Wheelchair / Disabled Passengers
- Wheelchair / Disabled passengers are allowed on Federal Airlines flights so long as:
- There is an assistant of some kind who is able to help with the boarding / de-boarding of the passenger if they are unable to manoeuvre themselves accordingly in relation to the flight they are doing.
- Only 1 disabled passenger is allowed on board any 1 Federal Airlines flight.
- No liability can be held against Federal Airlines (Pty) Ltd for injury, etc. to a passenger.
- The Captain of the flight must be informed of the passenger on board his/her flight the day before hand or at the very least 15 minutes before the flight departs.
Wheelchairs: Manually Operated Wheelchairs
Manually operated wheelchairs may be allowed on Federal Airlines flights:
- At all times; however consideration must be taken in terms of size as not all aircraft in the Federal Airlines fleet can accommodate the bulk / shape of a fold-away wheelchair in cargo pods, etc.
- The Captain of the flight must be informed of the particular cargo on board his/her flight the day before hand or at the very least 15 minutes before the flight departs.
NOTE: Extra seats are to be booked for the extra equipment travelling per passenger accordingly.Read More