Formerly the family home of Singita founder Luke Bailes’ grandfather, Singita Castleton is an exclusive use lodge set within 45,000 acres of private reserve.
Singita Castleton consists of a main house with communal living spaces, and accommodation located in six individual cottages within the grounds, catering for up to 12 people. It is steeped in history, capturing the spirit of the original Castleton house, giving the lodge a historical and comforting nature. Singita Castleton has been designed to combine the best elements of a private safari lodge with the rustic charms of a country farmhouse,
with the added benefit of extensive high-end facilities, including a vast garden, swimming pool, wine cellar, gym, tennis court and spa treatment room. Guests can relax together in the courtyard, gather around the traditional ‘boma’ or meet in the country-style kitchen, yet the individual cottages allow guests to retreat to the privacy of their own space as and when it’s needed. All of this is overlooking a waterhole where animals regularly gather to drink.
|Rates inclusive of 15% VAT • South African Rand • Subject to Availability|
|Description||1 Jan 2019 to 31 Dec 2019|
|Private Use - 6 Doubles/Twins; maximum 12 guests - per lodge per night (1-8 guests)||R230 300|
|Private Use - 6 Doubles/Twins; maximum 12 guests - per lodge per night (9-12 guests)||R256 500|
|Day Use Rate - Applicable for early check-in & late check-out per lodge per night||R115 200|
|Private Vehicle * per vehicle per day||R15 000|
|Pilot/Guide Accommodation per person per night||R2 400|
|Private Spa Therapist at Singita Castleton - per day, includes up to 5x1 hour treatments per day||R8 075|
|Conservation Contribution - per person per night||R 138|
* A private vehicle needs to be booked for the full duration of a guest’s stay at a property. To guarantee a private vehicle, it needs to be booked prior to arrival. All private vehicles are subject to availability at the time of booking.
- Image Gallery
- Terms | Conditions
- Maps & Directions
- See and do at Castleton
Rates are quoted in South African Rand (ZAR), inclusive of Value Added Tax (VAT) at 1 5% and are subject to change.
- All meals and beverages (including premium wines, spirits and liqueurs, but excluding French Champagne)
- Private guide, house host, chef and house staff
- Private open Land Rover safaris (one vehicle for up to 8 guests, two vehicles for 9-12 guests), walking safaris, (accompanied by experienced guides and trackers), tennis, archery
- If a private therapist is booked during stay, the daily rate includes a maximum of 5 treatments
- Return road transfers between the Singita airstrip and the lodges
- Laundry service
Check-in time: 14h00
Check-out time: 11h00
* Please note that guests wishing to check in before 14h00 and/or check out after 11h00 are required to book an additional night at the day-use rate.
- Tourism levy at (2019) R70 per person per night
- Conservation Contribution per person per night (2019) R138
- Telephone calls
- Purchases from the Singita Boutique & Gallery
- French Champagne
- Spa treatments
- Singita Castleton: Exclusive access to a Singita spa therapist (to be pre-booked and pre-paid)
- Singita Castleton: Additional vehicle (available on request at an additional charge)
- Singita Castleton: Day Use Rate (applicable for early check-in & late check-out)
- Transport to and from the reserve. Please see our flight & access documentation.
Private Vehicle : per vehicle per day
- one private vehicle is included for up to 8 guests and two private vehicles for 9-12 guests.
- Children of all ages are welcome at Singita Castleton.
- In the interest of safety, participation of children in game activities is at the discretion of the guide.
- Single supplement will apply if 3 or more single rooms are booked in a reservation. A supplement of 25% of the adult rate will be added from the 3rd single room onwards.
- Deposit of 50% of the total accommodation charge is required on confirmation. Balance is due 30 days prior to arrival. For bookings made within 30 days of travel, we require full payment on confirmation.
- Due to the increasing fuel cost, Federal Air may increase their fuel surcharge during the year, in which case the incremental must be borne by the client. Singita Game Reserves and Cybercapetown will not be accountable for any incremental costs.
For the period 16 January – 19 December annually, provisional reservations may be held for 21 days, after which time the Company is required to either release the space back to Singita for resale, or confirm the reservation by paying a non-refundable deposit. The deposit is calculated at 25% of the total reservation value.
Balance of Payment is due 60 days prior to arrival.
For the Festive Season, defined as 20 December – 15 January annually, provisional reservations may be held for 21 days, after which time the Company is required to either release the space back to Singita for resale, or confirm the reservation by paying a non-refundable deposit. The deposit is calculated at 50% of the total reservation value.
Balance of Payment is due 120 days prior to arrival.
In the event of any confirmed reservation being cancelled, the following cancellation fees will be charged:
- Penalty of 25% of the total reservation value if cancelled up to 61 days prior to arrival
- Penalty of 100% if cancelled 60 days or less prior to arrival
In the event of any confirmed reservation being cancelled during the Festive Season, defined as 20 December – 15 January annually, the following cancellation fees will be charged
- Penalty of 50% of the total reservation value if cancelled up to 121 days prior to arrival
- Penalty of 100% penalty if cancelled 120 days or less prior to arrival
This period is defined as: 20 December 2019 – 15 January 2020
- Minimum Stay for guests travelling during Festive Season: a 3 night minimum night stay is required at all properties.
- Arrivals & Departures for guests travelling during Festive Season: No arrivals and departures on Christmas Day or New Year’s Day at any property.
Set within 45,000 acres of private reserve, Singita Castleton consists of a main house, with communal living spaces, and accommodation located in six individual cottages within the grounds, catering for up to 12 people.
- There is a swimming pool on the front lawn overlooking the Castleton dam and the open grassland.
- There is a private fitness centre available.
- Private tennis court with tennis pavilion.
- Trampoline for children (and adults) to have fun.
- A spa treatment room and in room treatments are available for guests.
- Television with full satellite/cable with DVD player in the main house.
- Private boma with uninterrupted view of the watering hole.
- Private Land Rover with experienced field guide and tracker.
- Private staff of house manager, chef, housekeeper, guide and tracker.
- Our Singita Boutique & Gallery and Premier Wine Boutique is nearby.
- Dependent upon area coverage, there is mobile phone signal.
- There is complimentary internet (WiFi) access, however due to the remote location of the lodge, the wireless connection can be slow and intermittent.
- Electricity/power available: 220V. Converters are also available and hair dryers are supplied in each suite.
- Children of all ages are welcome. There are babysitting services available (to be booked in advance) and tailor-made activities to suit each family.
- For the interest of safety, childrens’ participation in game activities is at the discretion of your guide.
- Kosher and Halaal is available at Singita Castleton at an additional charge – please book in advance.
We can arrange scheduled flights or private charters for your trip. All flights land at Singita’s airstrip located 10 minutes from the lodge.
On scheduled flights, the weight of luggage is restricted to 20kg (44lb) for checked baggage and 5kg (11lb) for hand luggage. Only soft-sided luggage is permitted.
Johannesburg – Singita Sabi Sand: approximately 1 hour
Nelspruit – Singita Sabi Sand: approximately 30 minutes
Private aircraft pilots land at their own risk and are advised to broadcast their intentions on frequency 124,8 MHz.
Latitude: 24° 48” 18’ S
Longitude: 31° 25” 34’ E
Length: 1 400m
Surface: Soft tar
From Johannesburg: approximately 6.5 hours’ drive (+/- 500km).
From Hazyview: approximately 1.75 hours’ drive (+/- 150km).
Guests of Castleton have their own private field guide and tracker with private Land Rover for the duration of their stay. Daily game drives provide the perfect opportunity to get up close to Africa’s incredible animals, while evening drives reveal the elusive magic of nocturnal Africa.
Our game drives are all conducted in state-of-the-art Land Rovers, each accommodating a maximum of six guests.
Key Species You Are Likely to See
During your stay at Singita Castleton, you are likely to spot a great variety of wildlife, including species such as leopard, lion, rhino, large herds of buffalo, elephant, reedbuck, hyena, hippopotamus, nyala, cheetah, wild dog and many types of birds.
Guided Safari Walk
Walking safaris are an incredible way to experience the bush up close and personal.
Your expert guide and tracker will accompany you as you track animals on foot through the wilderness and explore the magnificent plants and landscapes around you.
We suggest a minimum age of 15 years for this activity, but participation is at the discretion of your Field Guide.
The untamed wilderness and magnificent wildlife of Africa is a truly life changing experience no matter one’s age.
A safari makes for an unforgettable family holiday, with exhilarating activities for the entire family to enjoy, memories made together that will last a lifetime, and opportunities to learn and grow together.
Safari can open a child’s eyes to the beauty of the natural world, which is why children of all ages are welcome at Singita Castleton.
The exclusive and private nature of Singita Castleton with a series of spaces that encourages relaxation, togetherness, and a deep engagement with nature is the ultimate for destination for families on safari.
Family Friendly Accomodation
The main house is the central point of meeting for families to enjoy time together while the private cottages allow privacy and solitude. Two cottages have been designed to have inter leading doors for younger children to be close to parents.
Some of the special activities offered for families and children include:
- Baking with chefs (pizza/cookie making)
- Arts and crafts
- Board games
- Astronomy and stargazing
- Bush walks around camp
- Mini Rangers’ Course
- Our exciting Mini Rangers’ Course opens up a whole new world to young explorers. This programme includes: tracking animals; a cosmic safari (astronomy); learning bush survival techniques; flower-pressing (in summer); frogging; butterfly capture and release; game, tree and bird-spotting competitions; nature quizzes and a Ranger’s test. Upon completion of the course, these proud achievers are awarded a certificate to recognise their new-found knowledge and accomplishments.
There is perhaps no more transcendent experience than looking up at a full sky of sparkling stars.
Man has had a love affair with the nighttime sky for centuries and with very little pollution and no city lights to detract for the stars, your view of the heavens here will be crystal clear – nothing between you and the vast African sky above.
Cooking AT CASTLETON
The country style kitchen is the heart of the home and guests are encouraged to pop in whenever they wish.
An informal cooking lesson can be held with the chef or guests may opt to just watch as the preparations for meal time roll out.
Swimming in the large pool on the front lawn is a day-long activity in itself.
With plenty of pool toys to choose from and welcoming loungers on the deck, guests can enjoy both fun-filled and relaxing days with an uninterrupted view of the watering hole and passing wildlife.
A private fitness centre at Singita Castleton is the perfect way for guests to keep up with their exercise regime while on holiday. The facility provides picturesque views of the bush, allowing you to keep an eye on the action outside while you work out on state of the art equipment.
Spend a morning on taking lessons from your guide on how to shoot with a bow and arrow.
With a bow for children and a professional compound bow with arrows for adults, it is a fun activity for the whole group.
With a private wine cellar guests of Singita Castleton may enjoy superb wine throughout their stay. A visit by one of our sommeliers can be arranged for guests to have a private wine tasting or to plan their pairing preferences for their time at Castleton.
Singita is recognised as one of Africa’s most influential collectors of wine, with an extensive cellar showcasing a premium selection of wines, including some of the continent’s most sought-after private reserves, including exclusive release, limited single vineyard and rare auction wines.
The Singita wine list has received numerous awards of excellence, the top Diners' Club Wine List accolade as well as recognition from countless other local and international organisations.
François Rautenbach is responsible for this excellence as the director of Singita Premier Wine, he manages the selection, purchase, storage, and service of all the wines at Singita’s lodges. François also manages Singita Premier Wine Direct which allows guests to order their favorite wines from their safari to enjoy at home. With the Singita Premier Wine Direct service, wines can either be specially packed for guests as checked luggage or shipped directly to a guest’s home.
As with all that Singita does, community upliftment is central to the Singita wine programme as well. François Rautenbach has created a special training programme for enthusiastic young wine lovers, developing the next generation of sommeliers for Africa. The training provides educational assistance, personal mentoring, formal wine training and access to Africa’s finest wine programme.
As one of South Africa’s most influential buyers of wine, Singita’s cellars are home to some of the most sought-after private reserves and vintage wines the country has to offer. Whether you are a connoisseur or just enjoy the occasional glass of wine, our experienced sommeliers delight in introducing guests to a vast selection of varietals from all over the world.Through Singita Premier Wine Direct guests may purchase wines from our cellars: either to be taken home at the end of their trip or conveniently delivered to their door. As an addition to cellar purchases, we have secured allocations of highly limited, sought-after wines, including ‘Icons’, ‘Single Vineyard’ and ‘Limited Release’ wines, directly from leading wineries in South Africa. Stored in temperature-controlled cellars, these wines are unlikely to be available anywhere else.
Singita Castleton has a beautiful spa treatment room where guests may experience the renowned holistic and healing approach to treatments, giving them the individual attention they deserve.
The products we use are carefully selected for the positive impact that they have on our guests and the environment. The Dermalogica facial products use only the finest ingredients available from eco safe sources and do not test on animals. The Terres d’Afrique products, which are used for all body treatments, are a sustainably developed, organic, skincare range that harnesses the potency of Africa’s legendary botanical heritage. Both products are suitable for men and women.
Immune Booster Massage
This massage aims to restore a healthy immune system by unlocking energy pathways, activating blood flow, increasing lymphatic drainage and stimulating the body’s natural ability to cure itself through acupressure.
(Half- Day and Full- Day packages are available)